Telephone Assistance Plan
Telephone Discounts Can Help You Stay In Touch
Minnesota's Telephone Assistance Plan (TAP) and the federal LIFELINE Program help make telephone service affordable to low-income consumers.
TAP offers a $7.00 per month discount on home landline telephone service.
The Lifeline Program offers up to a $9.25 per month discount on home landline or internet service OR on cell phone service.
Lifeline recipients will be automatically enrolled in the TAP program.
Lifeline credits may be used to reduce the price of broadband internet service in addition to reducing the price of landline service.
How do I find out if I am eligible?
Contact your service provider to ask if you qualify. Consumers enrolled in the following programs may already be eligible:
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Medicaid/Medical Assistance
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Supplemental Security Income
- Veterans Pension or Survivors Pension Benefit
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Tribal Head Start
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
How do I apply?
If you receive your benefits from a wireless carrier follow this link for a TAP only application https://mn.gov/puc/assets/2020%20TAP%20App_tcm14-425212.pdf
To view a Lifeline application and the Household Worksheet visit https://www.usac.org/lifeline/additional-requirements/forms/